Friday, December 3, 2010

Praying for Wisdom

From 1 Kings 3

At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night, and God said, "Ask what I shall give you." And Solomon said, "You have great and steadfast love to your servant David my father, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you. And you have kept for him this great and steadfast love and him a son to sit on his throne this day. And now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of David my father, although I am but a little child. I do not know how to go out or come in. And your servant is in the midst of your people whom you have chosen, a great people, too many to be numbered or counted for multitude. Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?"

I desperately need wisdom in my teaching.

Let me give an example: I am teaching math. A student (who is known for not paying attention) gets up from his desk and walks across the room. What should I do?
A) Rebuke: "Bobby! What are you doing? Get back in your desk, this is math time."
B) Keep on teaching but wait and watch.
You see, I don't know if Bobby is getting up to get a tissue or if he's getting up because he's avoiding the math lesson. If it's the first, I don't need to correct him. But if it's the latter, he needs to be reminded to sit.

This is a daily occurrence in my room. I sadly must admit that all too often I immediately respond with the A option and am immediately convicted of my impatience when the student is simply getting a tissue.

I hate overreacting. I hate when I chastise for no reason. I have to chastise enough already for valid reasons - I hate adding to it.

I so need wisdom.
I need wisdom to discern motives. I need wisdom to discern the truth. I need wisdom to discern actions. I need wisdom to help them learn. I need wisdom to teach them to be wise. I need wisdom to point them to the one who gives wisdom - Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment